What happens if my parents co-sign a mortgage for my first home in Ontario?

Share This Post

KPA Lawyers - June 21, 2020

It is not uncommon for first-time homebuyers to have a co-signer on their mortgage. Having said that, if you are a first-time homebuyer, having a co-signer could impact the first-time homebuyers land transfer tax rebate available to you.

My first suggestion would be to have your co-signer act as a guarantor as opposed to a co-borrower on the mortgage. This does not require the co-signer to appear on title and the full rebate can be applied.

If the co-signer must appear on title, another option is to create a bare trust agreement between the co-signer and yourself. This will explicitly state that the co-signer has no beneficial interest in the property and will allow for your co-signer to apply for a refund of the rebate after closing provided they submit a letter from the bank confirming that they are on title for mortgage purposes or a copy of the bare trust agreement to the Ministry of Finance. The bare trust agreement will also protect your co-signer from future tax consequences (e.g. capital gains tax).

If you have questions about real estate law in Ontario, feel free to speak with Barbara Kaye for free.

More To Explore

How does child support work in Ontario?

Book an appointment with a family law lawyer (click here) Transcript of video Welcome back everybody, I’m Ryan Keeney and I’m a lawyer at KPA Lawyers in Ontario. The topic of today’s article is “How does child support work in Ontario?” If you’re just starting your journey into learning about child support in Ontario, this is a topic that can get fairly complex, which

Do You Want To meet the team behind KPA?

Contact a lawyer in a matter of seconds!