What to do if your tenant appeals an eviction order to the Divisional Court in Ontario

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

KPA Lawyers - April 4, 2019

It can be frustrating to spend all of that time and money winning your shiny new Eviction Order from the Landlord and Tenant Board, only to discover that your tenant has appealed his or her case to the Divisional Court.

The effect of this appeal, as you might already be aware, is that your Eviction Order is “stayed” (cannot be enforced) until the appeal proceedings are concluded. If your tenant has a lawyer, which they often don’t, then you can expect the appeal to go on for some time. The process is not significantly different than the process involved in appealing a Small Claims Court decision.

On the other hand, if your tenant does not have a lawyer, it will be extremely unlikely that they will be able to complete the necessary requirements set out by the Rules of Civil Procedure to correctly advance his or her appeal. If your tenant seems to be suspiciously good at creating court documents and meeting deadlines but they don’t have a lawyer, then your tenant might secretly be using a lawyer who is not officially on the record and whose name does not appear on any letters or court documents,

Regardless of the circumstances, if you’ve been named as a Respondent to an appeal, it’s time to lawyer up. The Divisional Court will generally only reverse a decision if there was an error of law, or there was a serious error in the factual conclusions arrived by the Landlord and Tenant Board in light of the evidence.

Some of the documents your lawyer will need to prepare for you are as follows:

  • Respondent’s Certificate Respecting Evidence
  • Respondent’s Compendium
  • Factum
  • Book of Authorities

These documents are essentially not very different from the documents required by the Appellant in how they are structured; however, their function is obviously to establish that the appeal should be dismissed.

If your tenant has appealed an eviction order to the Divisional Court, you can book a telephone call us by clicking here.

#landlordandtenantboard #DivisionalCourt #appealevictionorder

More To Explore

What to do if a seller doesn’t close a home sale in Ontario

In the real estate market, things can get tricky due to the substantial number of unknowns. Prices of property and homes can fluctuate relentlessly which can cause trouble in other areas of real estate. Sometimes, this can cause sellers, or purchasers to back out of a sale and leave the other party with nothing. If a seller has backed out of the sale without

Changes In Family Law: How Does It Impact You?

KPA Lawyers – August 23, 2021   The Canada Divorce Act changes took effect in March 2021. The changes came with significant adjustments in the divorce, parenting, and family obligations. The new changes are just receiving major updates since the last 20 years. The legislation attempts to make family laws simpler, accessible, and more efficient. It will also make family law more responsive to

Do You Want To meet the team behind KPA?

Contact a lawyer in a matter of seconds!